Ferrante’s Italian Sausage, Spinach & Cannellini Bean Soup
Yield: Serves 6
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup yellow onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup Ferrante’s Gruner Veltliner
6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can Great Northern or Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
8 ounces fresh spinach leaves
½ cup grated Romano cheese (more for garnish)
- In a large pot, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic, and continue to cook, stirring often, until the sausage is cooked through, 5-7 minutes. Deglaze the pan with wine, cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add spinach and Romano cheese, cook for 3 minutes. Serve with additional Romano cheese. Enjoy with a glass of Ferrante’s Grand River Valley Gruner Veltliner!